Practice info

(a-z) (default)

Information on

(a-z) (default)

Useful Resources Documents from the Practice
Local Interest

Alcohol and Drinking

If you are worried or feel you have a problem with alcohol or drinking, please make an appointment to see a doctor at the practice. The resources below may also be of help.

Guidelines - How Much Can I Drink?

The Department of Health has a page on alcohol misuse, which states:

The UK Chief Medical Officers recommend:
  • women should not regularly drink more than 2-3 units a day;
  • men should not regularly drink more than 3-4 units a day.
Regularly drinking more than this significantly increases the risk of ill health.

Useful Resources - Advice and Addictions

Drink Smarter 

Drink Smarter offers advice on sensible drinking and how to cut back slightly from harmful levels of alcohol consumption.

The RCA Trust operates in Paisley, and aims to help people who have problems with drink, drugs or gambling. Friends, families and employers are welcome to attend too. From their site:

We are a charity (SCO 12235) established originally in 1977 to offer volunteer-led alcohol counselling in Paisley, Scotland. Our services are provided by a mixture of volunteer, sessional and salaried workers all trained to recognised standards.

Alcoholics Anonymous.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. has a good page of resources on alcohol and drinking.

Drink Aware has a broad selection of advice on many aspects of drinking and alcohol.

NHS Choices also has a page on alcohol misuse, which describes the different types of alcohol abuse, what constitutes a unit, the risks of alcohol abuse and how to get help.

Help by Phone - Drinkline

The National Alcohol Helpline - Tel: 0800 917 8282.

Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

Caring For or Living With Someone Who Has an Alcohol Issue

Do you live with or care for someone with an alcohol issue? Renfrewshire Carers Centre and the Integrated Alcohol Team are lanching a carers group which will support and educate you in the many issues that this can bring.

The introductory meeting of ACT (Alcohol Carers Together) will be on:

Thursday 16 February
1.30-3.30 PM
Renfrewshire Carers Centre
The Embroidery Mill
Abbey Mill Business Centre

For more information please contact:

  • Elle at Renfrewshire Carers Centre on 0141 887 3643
  • Thomas at the Integrated Alcohol Team on 0141 314 4277

Calls will be confidential.